Thursday, December 29, 2016

Bug In Or Bug Out?

This is not a simple question because depending on the crisis at hand either may be right or wrong, so let's take a look at some reasoning for each. For myself I plan to stay put as long as it's safely possible, because of course the majority of my preps are where I am but I have the triggers in place that will get me to leave.
I have heard many people say "I have this remote bugout place that I am going to when it gets bad". Here are the questions I put to them.

1. How far away is it? 
If this remote place is more than 50 miles (or 2 days walk) from you how do you plan on getting there? If people are fleeing like you are there will be traffic tie ups, panicked people, and perhaps already gangs of looters just waiting to take whatever you have. If it's more than 50 miles you may never make it there. Do you have at least 4 different routes to get to your place? Have you drilled these routes so you know them by heart? Do you have cashes buried along the way so you can restock? Have you ever stayed on this place and know where to obtain water? Know the topical graphical layout of the land for security and hunting purposes? Most people say they will bug out to the woods but have no clue how to get there in a SHTF scenario or what to do when they get there. And if it's more than 50 miles like some I know have theirs hundreds of miles away you better have a great plan to leave early or chances are you won't make it.


 2. I'm not leaving I have all my preps and tons of ammo and I can ride it out. Really? Are you will to bet your life and your families lives on it? Alot of people said that with Hurricane Katrina and they paid the ultimate price. Being a prepper means you prepare for any kind of danger not just the man made ones. If you have a wild fire headed toward you are you going to sit there and burn? No you are gonna get out of it's way. So do you have a plan to bug out? Have a more than one location chosen that are at the farthest 2 days walk because you may not be able to use your vehicle. Make sure your bugout bag is current for the season at all times. Make sure you have cashes buried along the way that has fresh water, food, ammo, and clothes in it. Remember no preps are worth your life! 

 

 I made this video a few years ago and it still holds true. Make a plan A B C D E...make sure your family knows it and...drill drill drill!

Bug In Bug Out?

Be prepared, not sorry.
 

No comments: