Thursday, May 16, 2013

Survival Plastic Tote Garden

I have several people contacting me asking the question "I have a limited amount of space how can I have a garden or grow my own food?". Well in a previous post I told you how to start your seeds in soda bottles



I like to practice what I preach so I wanted to give an honest answer to those that ask the questions. So I took a area of a typical 8x4 apartment balcony. Now I use a ton of tomato juice a year for chili, spaghetti, and goulash. In this area I can put 2 tomato plants and 2 pepper plants per tote for 4 totes and 1 tote I made a combination of herbs and medicinal plants.
Now I have usually produced 20 to 35 beef steak tomatoes per plant and 12 to 18 peppers per plant. So in 4 totes you can produce 160 tomatoes and 96 peppers.

Then when the season is over you pull the dead plants out and put the cover on.



And the great thing is this is portable so where ever you move this can go with you. If you have a limited amount of space this is a great idea!

Be prepared, not sorry










No comments: