Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Taking The "Gamey" Taste Out Of Wild Game And Fish

Growing up the daughter of the the "Great White Hunter/Fisherman" I learned....

All game is edible if you do it right..

I love to fish I think more than I love to hunt..probably because you can catch a fish and have it over a campfire in a matter of minutes. Pan fish such as bass, trout, perch, bluegill are my favorite but if it swims I will eat it. Depending on what you are fishing or hunting for you can sometimes, if you don't know the tricks have a very gamey or fishy tasting entree. But here are some things you can do to neutralize that unpleasant taste and give you some fantastic eating.

Milk

I love to fish for pike and in most places you can fish away with no limit but they can be a strong fish. Bear tends to be a greasy and gamey tasting meat but soaking them 24hrs in Milk tends to neutralize those tastes. 


Baking Soda

Baking also is a great neutralizer. My dad takes his salmon and soaks them in baking soda prior to smoking them.

Lipton Onion Soup Mix

For rabbit or squirrel put a package of Lipton Onion Soup Mix in a crock pot. Than add the fixings you want...I grew up eating this and you better believe LOSM is part of my preps!



Be prepared, not sorry

No comments: