Thursday, September 22, 2011

Guns And Goddesses

This is a subject that that most women either are intimidated to approach or they are dependant on their men and feel they will leave it up to said partner. I can't stress this enough........

You are responsible for your safety and that of your offspring...

I lived in Alaska for a couple of years and there is nothing more pure or dangerous than a grizzly protecting her cubs. Her whole existence is to protect them and with her instincts, brute force, and.......NO FEAR.. she will defend them to her death.

I was raised with a father who was the Great White Hunter/Fisherman and three older brothers. My first experience shooting a gun I was 6 years old, standing on a bucket with a 12 gauge resting on a fence post with my father next to me. When I pulled that trigger it knocked me off that bucket and on my ass. As I lie there trying to regain the wind that had been knocked out of me my father came and stood over me and said...."Always respect what a gun can do"...and I always have.

Now living on the farm with said Great White Hunter there was a family of six to feed so we hunted. We hunted rabbits, squirrel, pheasant, turkey, and deer. I learned how to field dress a rabbit before I knew my times tables. I thought everyone ate that way until high school and a friend came over after to school and raided the refrigerator and ate what she thought was chicken and was squirrel and she informed me that "squirrel was something you fed in the park and not ate"....

Over the years I have come to embrace bow hunting. In Alaska I was even on a women's league and it really does give you the sense of empowerment. Every women needs to know how to use and be accurate with a weapon/weapons when it comes to prepping and when SHTF.

Take a hunters safety course or sign up for a shooting class at a local range because you need to be that mama grizzly that will protect herself and her family no matter what. Another piece of advise my father gave me which women have a hard time with and you MUST get over is..........

"If you point a weapon at another person you MUST be ready to kill them"



If it comes to the point of you or your family being harmed or killed and you have pointed that weapon there must be no hesitation or conscious wrestling to pull the trigger.

Be prepared, not sorry

3 comments:

Scott R said...

Good Job Terri and you are absolutely correct in that you in these days really need to take an assertive approach in your own protection, depending on others can be an iffy situation, are you willing to stake your life on it?

Heathenmom said...

I agree absolutely with what you've said, and am raising up my daughter to the same notions--be self-reliant, learn how to hunt, and be ready to protect yourself and your family! I keep in the back of my mind what I've always called a "mama bear" attitude, and one of our "rainy day" activities is thinking of ways to use ordinary household items as weapons for just in case.

Overseer said...

very good post. Very valid.